Heart Healthy at Every Meal
By Schwan's Home Service, February 24, 2016
February is American Heart Month, so we’re featuring some simple substitutions and changes that will make your heart happy. You don’t have to change your entire diet, but making a heart healthy choice for one meal every day a day can set you on the right path. Small changes add up!
- Add chopped vegetables to an egg scramble. Try Asparagus Spears or MicroSteam Baby Broccoli Florets. You’ll feel full longer, and get a serving of vegetables before you even leave the house.
- Start the day out smooth, with a refreshing smoothie. Green Smoothie Packs blend up quick with water, juice or yogurt, and give you a full serving of fruit and vegetables in a glass. Oh, and they are delicious!
- Pack your lunch or eat at home when you can. Food prepared in restaurants typically has more sodium, fat and sugar than home-cooked meals. Simply bake or grill Premium Chicken Breast Filets and add chopped romaine and other fresh veggies to your lunch bag. Save dining out for special occasions!
- Go single-serve without sacrificing flavor. Frozen, single-serve meals have come a long way since TV dinners! Grab a LiveSmart® meal like Grilled Chicken with Vegetables and Honey Garlic Sauce and you’ll look forward to lunch all morning!
- Swap white rice for whole grains. Whole grains are heart healthy, and they will make you feel full faster. And when you taste this Five Grain Rice Pilaf, you’ll never go back.
- Trade your turf for surf. Rich in omega-3 fatty acids and low on fat, fish is a great heart healthy source of protein. Once a week, try swapping red meat for fish, like tender and mild-tasting Wild Caught Orange Roughy.
- Keep it simple. Fruit in its simplest form is a delightful desert. Thaw our Whole Blueberries, Dark Sweet Cherries or Triple Berry Blend, drizzle with cream and serve with pride.
Look for this symbol when you’re shopping with Schwan’s Home Service. It means you’ve found a heart healthy choice.